- Phil is considered to be the first male from the Northwest to gain national recognition in tennis.
- In 1919, he was the national junior doubles runner-up. That same year, he was the Pacific Northwest singles champion.
- In 1920, he won the British Columbia men’s singles championship.
- The next year, while at Sanford University, he won the National Intercollegiate (NCAA) singles championship. He was the first champion from the West coast. In 1922, he won the NCAA doubles championship with James Davies from Stanford University.
- The Neer family – – Phil and brothers Jacie and Henry, also Jack, son of Jacie have all been prominent in Portland tennis.
- Member of the USTA/PNW Hall of Fame
- Member of the NCAA Tennis Hall of Fame
- Member of Stanford University Athletic Hall of Fame
Framed picture of Phil on display at the Multnomah Athletic Club
Document Source: Sam Lee, 1995 & Jack Neer, 2003