Beginning in 1913, every June (with a few exceptions), the Irvington Club hosted the Portland City Championships. In 1970 the city tournament was renamed the Rose Festival Tennis Tournament; that year 350 entrants made it the biggest Portland city tournament ever.
After a hiatus in the late 1970’s and 80’s the Cascade Athletic Club revived the Rose Festival Tennis Tournament and hosted it from 1986 until 2001 when the tournament returned to its roots at the Irvington Club.
In 2005, Adidas took over as the title sponsor. The tournament is now called the “Adidas Open Tennis Championships”. All prize money for the event is raised through donations by Irvington Club members.
The tournament currently includes men’s and women’s open singles and doubles and mixed open doubles.
First Rose Festival Tournament at the Irvington Club – Oregonian, 6/5/1970
Miscellaneous at Irvington Club
Document Source: Irvington Club Staff 2005